- Wood Coatings
- Metal Coatings
- Plastic Coatings
- Specialty Coatings
- Industries Served
About Waterborne Wood Topcoats
ASAC™ technology has created a line of topcoats that exceeds the performance of any other waterborne topcoats available in today’s market. These topcoats are clear and durable and exhibit no grain raise. All are available in satin, semi-gloss, and gloss sheens as well as custom sheens upon request. They are also low in VOC’s, and offer the best option available to conform to the Program Requirements of the South Coast Air Quality Management District (SCAQMD), Greenseal, and LEED.
Numerous colors and custom colors available.
1. The GreenLight Coatings™ topcoats include an all acrylic system, an aromatic polyurethane based system, and a non‐yellowing aliphatic polyurethane system. They provide excellent topcoat quality with the urethane systems superior in abrasion and chemical resistance.
2. All of the waterborne topcoats contain an internal crosslinking mechanism and meet KCMA standards without the addition of a crosslinker.
3. An optional crosslinker is available for use in the GL‐4850 aliphatic urethane topcoat to speed up hardness development and permit earlier stack times. The use of the GL Cat‐115 crosslinker increases water and chemical resistance as well as adhesion properties. The crosslinker remains effective for 0.5 to 1 hour upon addition to the topcoat. After this time, the unused portion of the topcoat will exhibit gel properties and may not be used.
4. It is recommended to apply the topcoats to a wet thickness between 3 mil to 6 mil (0.003” ‐ 0.006”). As a visual aid to correct wet sealer thickness, when applied correctly, the sealer will appear hazy and have a semi-transparent milky white appearance.
5. Again, if the final coating surface is not uniform, check for surface contaminants on the wood substrate and any possible contaminants from the application equipment. Spray hoses must have a minimum of compressor oil and, as discussed above, it has been noted that residues in the fluid lines have been “cleaned” and removed with the use of the GreenLight Coatings™ waterborne wood coatings.
6. With a pre‐sanding to 220 grit one topcoat application is usually sufficient for quality results. Two topcoat applications will result in exceptional surface finish quality.